Monday 16 August 2010

How To Get A Good Night's Sleep...And Stay Sober

Why are Monday's always so difficult? You spend all day trying to just get through it before hitting Tuesday - the even worse day. Wednesday are hump days so once you hit noon, it's the slippery slope down to the weekend again. By Thursday the weekend is so close you can almost smell it. And by the time Friday's come back around, you feel like giving it a massive hug like a long lost friend and telling it how much you've missed it.

My Monday's been particularily painful. Mostly due to lack of sleep. I had a (for once) very chilled out weekend which involved me going to bed at a very reasonable hour and getting up fairly early the next day. So how come when I actually NEED to get some sleep, I just can't? I managed around four hours before I woke up from a horrendous nightmare.

My nightmare's are legendary in our house. Poor Mr P is frequently woken up by me twitching, squealing, shouting, snarling, and sometimes even barking like a dog. Not to mention me digging my nails into the palms of my hands until they're bleeding...during which all I'm still asleep.

Last night's was particularily bad (these ones tend to keep re-occuring until I've filled in my Tax Return - random, eh?) which meant I was woken up by myself at 340am and that was me until I had to get up for work at 5am.

So tonight I'm not taking any chances and shall be sleeping with my lump of Amethyst under my pillow. Now as anyone who's ever watched a shopping telly jewellery hour will tell you, Amethyst is a purple stone from the quartz family and is the birthstone of February. You may even know that it comes from the Greek words meaning "Not Drunk" and was believed to keep the owner sober and control unruly behaviour. Which is why a great many wine goblets had amethysts in their design. But one thing you may not know is that it is also said to help with meditation, relaxation and in getting a restful nights sleep.



Amethyst is a good, all round healing stone thanks to its soothing vibrations. As well as helping to relax you to help with a good night's sleep, it can also help with banishing tension headaches by using it to make small circular movements in the centre of the temple, working outwards.

Due to it's purple colour, it is linked to the body's pineal gland which is located in the centre of the forehead in the area also known as the "Third Eye". This makes it an ideal stone to help heighten psychic awareness and intuition.


All crystals need "charging" before their first use. This is to "fill" them with magical energy which you can use to your advantage. Crystals can be charged in a variety of ways. The most common is by using moonlight. Crystals should always be charged during a Waxing Moon - the period between the New and Full Moons when the energies are growing with the increasing moonlight. Other ways of charging are using air, salt, earth or water.



So I'm not taking any chances tonight - I'm off to dig out my Amethyst! :D

H x

No comments:

Post a Comment